If you’ve ever been into cooking your own popcorn, then no doubt that you might have already experienced popping kernels that burn easily and do not have the delicious popcorn flavor that you might associate with those that you get at the cinema.
Luckily, there are plenty of popcorn kernels that you can buy in large quantities on the market. These kernels can withstand high degrees of heat, coming in large quantities that will give you large amounts of delicious and fluffy popcorn. However, you’ll need to make sure you get the right brand as not all kernels are created equal.
Most of these kernels are made for air popping, meaning that they have added oils and flavors that will give them their delicious flavor at the end. You can get jumbo kernels that produce very large pieces of popcorn and much smaller kernels if you prefer crunchy to chewy popcorn.
So what exactly are the best air-popped popcorns on the market? What ingredients do you need to include in your popcorn to make sure that they last you for the long haul? How can you guarantee a delicious flavor with your popcorn? How much will you have to pay for a decent jar of popcorn?
Well, if you are wanting to make your own air-popped popcorn, then we would suggest that you keep reading. We have compiled a list of some of the very best air-popped popcorn on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will help you to determine what the best popcorn is and whether it is suitable for your particular palate.
Best Air Popped Popcorns
OUR TOP PICK
Our first jar of popcorn kernels comes in a large quantity of around 30 ounces of kernels, so you’ll have more than enough for a few family events or sporting games.
You can add these to almost any cooker, you can heat them up in the pan with whatever amount of flavoring that you want - introducing the Jolly Time Select Popcorn Kernels.
These are made from whole grains, so you can be sure of a nice and full popcorn flavor when they come out at the other end. This will produce quality, theatre-style popcorn, ideal for your horror movie night. This is also gluten-free and doesn’t contain any GMO products.
- This comes with kernels that are made from the premium flavor, giving you everything that you need to fill your belly and sate your appetite.
- You can be quite versatile with this brand of popcorn, placing them in your air popper or your frying pan, adding the correct amount of oil and salt.
- This comes with plenty of sodium and protein, meaning that you’ll actually get a little bit of a health kick from eating this popcorn.
- These kernels are free from various types of artificial products, whether it is GMO or gluten, so if you have reactions to either of these, then you can rest assured.
- These kernels are slightly oily, which might not make them one of the healthiest options on the market.
Next up, we have popcorn that comes with its own measuring cup, giving you that extra degree of control when you are making your own popcorn.
These kernels advertise themselves as having popcorn that comes up big and fluffy, yet when we cooked them we found that they fell slightly short of that mark - introducing the Pop Secret Jumbo Popcorn Kernels.
This comes in a very handy and compact bottle that you can carry with you easily from one place to another. This is very useful when you are entertaining at another person’s house.
The popcorn that comes from this is very fluffy, however, when we tasted them after frying, we found that they were slightly chewy.
- The price - these are very affordable, so if you are thinking about making large batches of popcorn, then we would suggest that you grab a bottle of this.
- The bottle - this is one of the most useful bottles that you can get for your popcorn needs, it even has a measuring cup on the top.
- This is a great one for the family, you can pump out enough popcorn for yourself, your children and even some cousins and aunts and uncles!
- You can customize this popcorn to your specific needs, if you want your popcorn particularly salty or sweet, then you can certainly add your own flavorings.
- This popcorn does not come out as light and fluffy as advertised, so if that’s what you’re looking for in your popcorn, then we would suggest you pick up another brand.
Next up, we have some white popcorn, which you can be certain will not have any additional flavoring or artificial preservatives, making it one of the healthiest popcorn that you can get on the market.
This comes directly from the farm, so if it’s natural popcorn that you’re looking for, then we’d suggest you pick up some of these - introducing Organic White Popcorn.
This stuff is made fresh on the farm, so if you want the most natural taste of popcorn, then you should pick up some of these kernels.
When we tasted them, they had an almost nutty aftertaste which we found refreshingly different from store-bought popcorn. But you can always add your own flavorings to this.
- The most organic popcorn on this list. This is fluffy and rises well. You won’t be getting the chewy starchiness that you would find in popcorn you get from the store.
- This is very easy to pop, all you need to do is put it in a paper bag and leave the heat to do the rest of it.
- This uses machinery to harvest the corn, resulting in popcorn that comes with a completely natural flavoring.
- This popcorn naturally tastes like butter, which is simply amazing if you don’t want to add any additional butter for health reasons.
- This might taste slightly bland to anyone who is used to eating the rich and starchy popcorn that you get at the cinema or pick up at the store.
This comes in 8-ounce packets that will be perfect for measuring out your popcorn in stages. This comes made with coconut oil and salt, so all you’ll need to do is add them to your air fryer and get them cooking.
This is easy and free of mess, all you have to do is tip the kernels into your heater - introducing the Great Northern Popcorn Company Antique Style Popcorn Popper.
This comes in measured ratios, so you won’t have to worry about having more popcorn than you need. This company has calculated to around a few ounces per person.
If you want to make more, then simply add more sachets to the mix. To us, this popcorn tastes more like the sumptuous and flavorsome popcorn you’d get at the store.
- These come in pre-measured packs, so you won’t have to worry about it clogging up your air popper or frying pan.
- This is simply great for the family, you can rustle up a bag each for your family without having to measure or waste popcorn at the end.
- This comes pre-flavored, so you probably won’t have to add any of your own. They will go easily in your air-fryer, which is important for maintaining cleanliness.
- You can pick up a case of 40 popcorn sachets, which are perfect if you are going to want to be making popcorn night a regular thing.
- If you really want to control the flavor and the texture of your popcorn, then this might not be the option for you.
Finally, we have a very well-respected brand that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent helping of popcorn.
This comes in a large tub of popping kernels that you can be sure will give you enough popcorn to last you for at least a few weeks - introducing Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popcorn Kernels.
If you are looking for some honest-to-goodness popcorn that won’t result in your putting on too much weight or giving you stomach upset.
Made from simple kernels, you can place these in the air fryer for a quick roasting session. If you need to buy popcorn cheaply and in bulk, then you can’t go wrong with this brand.
- This stuff is completely certified to be free of GMO-products, so you won’t have to worry about it upsetting your delicate digestive system.
- You can easily put these in the air fryer, which makes them one of the most natural and wholesome methods of cooking your popcorn.
- If you need to whip up popcorn quickly for a large group of friends, then you can’t really go wrong with this brand of popcorn.
- This has a crunchy outer texture to it with a much softer core, so definitely one for fans of that original flavor of cinema popcorn.
- This can taste slightly blander to anyone who is used to sweet or salty popcorn. However, one of the upsides of this popcorn is that you can add your own flavorings as and when you need to.
Next up, we have a 10 pack variety gift set that is just perfect for introducing your children to these amazing flavors.
Come in such wide flavorings as purple and mushroom, you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a decent snack with your dips - introducing Amish Country Popcorn.
This gift set also comes with a recipe book that you can be sure will provide you with everything that you need for a perfect popcorn dish.
When it comes to variety then you won’t be disappointed with this one. This popcorn is some of the lowest-calorie that we have on this list, as well as being free of peanuts and tree bark.
- If you want to sample a wide range of popcorn flavors, then you can’t go wrong with the Amis bumper crop.
- This stuff is very cheap, so you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank when you pick up a pack of Amish.
- This stuff is completely free from gluten, so if you have issues with your stomach getting bloated with wheat, then you should try and nab yourself some of this popcorn.
- This comes with 14 amazing flavors and 15 amazing recipes that you can use to experiment with different popcorn flavor combinations.
- This popcorn might be a little too lavish for people who just want to splash out a few dollars on some bargain popcorn to watch a movie with.
Best Air Popped Popcorns Buying Guide
When you are looking for air-popped popcorn, you won’t want to sacrifice flavor or texture during the mixing process. You’ll want kernels with a decent oily texture that you can be sure will not explode or burn in the frying process.
Here are a few things you’ll be looking for with air-popped popcorn:
How Healthy Is It?
If you have snacking problems and are struggling to keep the weight off, then making little dietary changes will be crucial to shedding those last few pounds. Making little changes to your diet will be very important when you first start to diet.
Having kernels will be one great method of reducing the added salts and sweeteners that you get with popcorn that has already been popped. You can also really reduce the amount of oil that is going into your popcorn by cooking it in the air popper.
How Quickly Does It Pop?
Sometimes your popcorn will be ready in just two minutes, other kernel varieties will take a lot longer. You should always make sure that the kernels are sourced from farms or are grown from decent corn.
Air-popped popcorn is ideal for putting on the skillet, so if you want to get your popcorn kernels nice and hot very quickly, then picking up a decent jar of kernels will be very important for achieving that end.
We would recommend that you get a chair that allows you to measure out the kernels yourself, so you can be as accurate as possible.
How Durable Are Popcorn?
Having popcorn kernels that will last will be very important, especially if you are going to keep them in your cupboard for months on end. We would recommend getting them in a sealed tub which will not let in that much oxygen and will keep them fresh for much longer.
If you let your popcorn kernels go stale, then you will definitely notice a decrease in the quality of your final popcorn.
Kernels that are left out at room temperature for longer than a few weeks usually develop a soggy and chewy texture after they are popped. You could try and ameliorate this by adding lots of salt or sugar to the final mix.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Air-Popped Popcorn Healthier?
Generally, air-popped popcorn will be much healthier for you, as it will not contain any of the calorific salt or sweetener that is often added to popped popcorn.
If you have air-popped your popcorn, then you can expect a significant reduction in calories. This type of popcorn is also usually sourced from natural places, so it will be healthier for that reason too.
How Can You Air Pop Popcorn Kernels?
This is often as simple as putting your kernels in the skillet and cranking the heat up until they start to pop. However, you’ll need to make sure that you have a mesh covering over your frying pan, as these popcorn kernels do tend to jump about.
However, plenty of these popcorn come with their own container that you can use to pop all the kernels without making a mess.
Once you have cooked your popcorn, then you can add the seasoning afterward fairly quickly. Just add a fistful of salt and maybe even some paprika to your popcorn for that really interesting flavor contrast.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best air-popped popcorn has helped you to narrow down which one you prefer for your needs. Not only is air-popped popcorn super healthy, but you can have as much as you want without gaining too much weight.