What better way to spend an evening than by lying on the sofa with a tub of buttered popcorn on your lap, watching your favorite movie? Well, there are plenty of different flavors of popcorn, all of which can be easily prepared in the microwave.
Microwavable popcorn is fast becoming the default method of preparing popcorn. It is quick, efficient and doesn’t skimp on any flavor. However, what you will want to avoid is having any burnt kernels in your popcorn box. You’ll want something that delivers a very consistent flavor, with a texture that will melt in your mouth completely.
We will evaluate this popcorn using the following criteria: cost, taste, availability, how well it pops in your microwave and whether the texture will be delicious or whether it will feel like you’re eating warmed-up packing foam.
So where can you find the best microwavable popcorn? What are the best flavors for this delicious microwavable treat? How easy should it be to put some of this popcorn in your microwave and how quickly will it be ready? How much will you be paying for a box of this popcorn for you and your friends?
Well, if you are desperate for answers to all of these popcorn questions and more, then we would suggest that you keep reading. We have compiled a list of some of the best microwavable popcorn that you can get on the market, along with a buyer’s guide that will really help you narrow down which are the best for your needs.
Best Microwave Popcorn
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This first box of popcorn will feel simply delicious in your mouth, giving you everything that you need for a very tasty snack.
The description written on the back of the box says that this takes only 2 minutes to start popping and after we tried it ourselves, we have found that timing to be pretty accurate - introducing the Act II Buttery kettle Corn Microwave Popcorn.
This stuff has a delicious smell and you can quickly expect your kitchen to be filled with the smell of rich and buttery popcorn.
You can crank this one up to 950 watts and have very few scorched kernels at the end of your warming process. This popcorn can come out chewy, but for the most part, everything in the bag will be light and fluffy.
- This popcorn is very sweet, probably one of the best ratings in terms of flavor that we’ve tasted on this list.
- The final texture of the popcorn itself is very delicious, you won’t have much flattened or chewy popcorn once you’ve cooked it up.
- This popcorn will be ready very easily in just under 2 minutes. If you are in a rush for some sweet popcorn, then you can’t go wrong with this bag.
- The flavor of this popcorn is very rich and delicious, so you won’t have to worry about it being spoiled by too much microwaving.
- Some people have complained that not all of the kernels in this popcorn will pop, so you might have to put it in the microwave for another spin.
This next packet of popcorn comes with some of the best ingredients that you can find on the market. It uses wholly organic ingredients, free from palm oil and full of natural sea salt and natural flavor.
This will cook very quickly, giving you everything that you need for a decent warmed-through meal - introducing Newman’s Own Organics Microwave Popcorn.
This comes with a stunning flavor, you’ll probably think you’re eating luxury popcorn from the cinema. Each piece of this popcorn will be light and crunchy before delivering that real melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
You might get some slightly scorched pieces at the end of your microwave, but by and large, this will be very delicious.
- This popcorn is one of the best in terms of flavor and consistency, so you won’t have to worry about it overloading your palate with flavor.
- This comes with all organic ingredients, so if you are conscious about what healthy things you are putting in your body, then you can’t go wrong with Newman’s.
- This popcorn will be ready very quickly, so if you are rushing to put on your favorite movie before it gets too late, you won’t be sitting watching the clock for the popcorn.
- This is a very wholesome popcorn, perfect for sitting around with the whole family and putting on your favorite film.
- Some people who have used this popcorn have also complained about kernels being burnt at the end of this cooking process.
Next up, we have microwavable popcorn that comes with plenty of natural ingredients and uses no artificial flavors.
This popcorn has a very distinctive twist too in that it comes with cheese and black pepper, all of which are simply amazing when it comes to boosting your popcorn with flavor - introducing Jolly Time the Big Cheese Cheddar Cheese Microwave Popcorn.
This stuff takes slightly longer to cook than some of the other models on our list, so you won’t have to worry about any burning.
However, if you push it towards the 3-minute mark, then you might be seeing a little bit of singeing on the edges. This stuff is very crisp and well-seasoned, so it will be a little different from a lot of other popcorns.
- This stuff comes loaded with cheesy flavors, so if you are a fan of the more savory items, then we would certainly recommend this one.
- This popcorn really smells delicious when you have it cooking in the microwave, so you can be sure that your kitchen will smell delicious after cooking this popcorn.
- If you are wanting something a little different in terms of popcorn flavoring, then you can’t really go wrong with this brand, which is not afraid to try something a little different.
- With sumptuous black pepper and cheddar taste, this really will give your guests something to talk about at your next function.
- There were some burnt kernels left at the end of this popcorn, so you might want to keep watching it when you are cooking it.
This next popcorn is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and is for those people who don’t want to blow all their money on popcorn for their home cinema.
This popping corn comes with plenty of amazing flavors that are all-natural, which is perfect if you are conscious of the things you’re putting in your body - introducing Clancy’s Gluten-Free Whole Grain Natural Butter Movie Theater Popcorn.
This popcorn has nutty undertones, so if you prefer that flavor to your popcorn, then we would certainly recommend this brand.
This is one of the most affordable popcorns that you can get on this list, perfect if you are buying for your family or are stocking up on popcorn to get value for money.
- This popcorn is great value for money, you can get a pretty large box of this stuff for very little. This is great for family purchases.
- This will pop very quickly, so if time is of the essence, we would certainly recommend that you pick up this brand.
- This brand will give you everything that you need for a delicious and salty classic flavor of popcorn.
- This comes without any artificial flavorings that are bad for you, so expect to find zero palm oil or other harmful additives.
- Because this popcorn is a little cheaper, then the texture of the popcorn might be a little too chewy in places.
This next popcorn will be one for those people who are looking to shed pounds, as it does not contain any butter.
This popcorn is very light and will not weigh too heavy on your stomach. This is great if you have just eaten a meal and you just want to squeeze in a sweet treat afterward - introducing Pop Secret Microwave Popcorn.
This popcorn is free of all artificial flavorings and colors, so if you want to put as few cheap ingredients in your body as possible, then we would recommend that you pick up this popcorn.
This might be lacking in butter, but it will contain quite a lot of flavor, mimicking that of classic popcorn.
- This popcorn has a wonderful texture, feeling light and buttery in your mouth, you can be sure you’ll have everything that you need for a decent home movie session.
- You can nuke this popcorn within an inch of its life and still expect to get a decent flavor out of it.
- This stuff lacks a lot of butter, so you won’t have to worry about putting on too much weight if you are scarfing this on a regular basis.
- This stuff only takes around 2 minutes to cook, so if you are looking for a quick mealtime fix, why not snack on this before you go to work?
- This popcorn might have that calorie-dense buttery taste that you get with a lot of regular popcorns.
This next popcorn does things a little bit differently in that it gives you plenty of sumptuous and natural flavoring but without any of the fatty butter that you get along with it.
This comes at only 25 calories a cup, which is great if you like your snacks but you don’t want to pile on the pounds - introducing SkinnyPop Microwave Sea Salt Popcorn Bags.
This stuff is free from a lot of artificial preservatives such as palm oil and GMO products. If you are looking to only put good things in your body, then this might be the popcorn brand for you.
This will take around 2 minutes to pop, so you won’t have to worry about it taking ages before your movie starts.
- This stuff will be really sumptuous and creamy when it comes out of the microwave, so you won’t have to worry about it being compromised in terms of flavor.
- This has very few kernels left over when you have finished cooking it. We would certainly recommend this one if you want a decent consistency.
- This will be ready very quickly, meaning that you won’t be leaving everyone waiting to watch the game with hands empty of popcorn.
- This popcorn is a lot saltier than some of the other flavors, so if you want to add meat or cheese to it, then you can create a very different twist to a classic snack.
- This is a little bit more expensive than some of the other popcorn brands that we have on this list, so if you are looking to save some cash, then we would recommend a different brand.
Best Microwave Popcorn Buying Guide
When you are looking for microwave popcorn, then you’ll be desperately searching for that right flavor. You’ll need a great consistency and plenty of traditional flavors.
However, if you are sick of the standard popcorn flavor, then you might be looking for a twist in flavors such as cheddar or sea salt. Here are some features you’ll be looking for:
You’ll want to make sure that the texture is rich and creamy, with that melt-in-the-mouth flavor that you might get from certain brands. A lot of people want that heady texture that will remind you about the popcorn that you used to get at the cinema.
This will all come down to the ingredients that you’ll be using. If your popcorn contains butter, then you can be sure that there will be plenty of flavors. You can also get salted and sweet popcorn or even a combination of the two. So make sure you know your flavor before you settle on one brand.
You might also want to branch out beyond the traditional salty and sweet duality, picking up something with cheese, pepper, or even jalapeno flavor. This might be something that you try out on your own first before committing to a flavor.
Are They Low Calorie?
Popcorn is not the best snack to have for losing weight. Luckily there are plenty of popcorn brands that go light on the excessive ingredients, finding low fat and low carb alternative so you can graze on as much of this popcorn as you like.
How Much Does It Cost?
Price will be a point for anyone who is looking to save some money on their weekly shopping. Getting popcorn might be considered an extravagance for some, so finding a brand that is lower in price will be great for alleviating some of the damage done to your wallet.
How Long Does It Take To Cook?
This will be very important, both in terms of the final quality of the popcorn and also how much effort you’ll be putting into cooking it. You’ll ideally want to prepare a few bags of popcorn very quickly for a few people. Whether you are solo cooking or cooking for others, you won’t want your popcorn to be too burnt or take too long to prepare.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Flavor Of Popcorn?
This will obviously depend on what you prefer. If you are a fan of the traditional salted popcorn, then we would suggest that you pick up some salt or go even more avant-garde by having a little bit of sea salt in your popcorn.
One of the more interesting flavors of popcorn that we’ve been sampling lately is the sweet and salty flavors. This packs all the punch of the salt but with the creamy sweetness of conventional popcorn. There are even beef and prawn cocktail flavors of popcorn, although you’ll probably have to get these from specialists online.
How Long Should Popcorn Take To Microwave?
Ideally, you shouldn’t leave any popcorn in the microwave for longer than two minutes. If the instructions tell you to leave it in the cooker for longer than 3 minutes, then we would suggest keeping an eye on it during that final minute. This is because popcorn is very delicate and can burn very easily.
Our Final Say
We hope that our list of some of the best microwave popcorns has helped you narrow down which ones you need for your next movie night or sports game.