Who doesn't love a bucket of popcorn to eat while watching a movie? Now a lot of people are enjoying making their own popcorn at home.
However, it may not have crossed your mind, but the oil that you use can affect how good your popcorn can be. Popcorn doesn't have to be seen as an unhealthy snack because of the oil, you could make it healthier depending on the oil that you use.
As a result, we have put together the best oils that you can use for popcorn. Thus, you can know which ones you should be using, so you can create the best tasting popcorn possible.
Best Oils For Popcorn
OUR TOP PICK
Franklin’s coconut oil is a very versatile popcorn oil that can be used for your home popcorn, it can always be used to cook other foods.
You could cook popcorn, meats, potatoes, and vegetables all with this oil, making it a very versatile product to have.
The flavors of this oil are really buttery, so you don’t need to add any butter to your popcorn. You get that traditional movie theater popcorn taste with this oil.
Alongside that, this oil uses all natural ingredients. This is a vegan and gluten-free oil that doesn’t contain any trans fats.
We found this popcorn oil to taste really similar to popcorn you get from the movie theater, and is a reasonable price.
- All Natural Ingredients - Franklin’s Gourmet Popcorn Oil is gluten-free and vegan. It also does not contain any trans fats, making this a very healthy and delicious oil alternative.
- Price - This popcorn oil can be bought at a very reasonable price, that anyone should be able to afford.
- Taste - If you want that traditional movie theater popcorn taste, then this oil will deliver. It gives you a buttery taste, that results in you not having to add extra butter to your popcorn.
- Greasy - You should try to limit how much oil you use. Otherwise, we found that you could end up making your popcorn quite greasy and not crispy to eat.
This old fashioned Amish Country popcorn oil is available in a 16 ounce bottle. Alongside that, your purchase comes with a free recipe guide book, to help you to create the best tasting popcorn out there.
We found that this oil gives your popcorn a subtle and mild butter flavoring. Yet, it is really delicious that you don’t need to add anything to your popcorn after this oil has been used.
Alongside that, this canola oil is a great healthy alternative. It contains very low calories, and it is completely nut-free.
This oil is also GMO-free and gluten-free, therefore there is no reason why you shouldn't be trying this oil on your popcorn during your next movie night.
Therefore, Amish Country Canola Oil has a subtle taste, but it is very healthy and comes at a low price. This is perfect for anyone who is on a budget but still wants to enjoy healthy and mouth-watering popcorn.
- Low Calories - Amish Country Canola Oil contains very few calories, which is a great option for anyone who is watching how many calories they should be consuming.
- GMO-Free - The genetic makeup of the plants used to create this oil hasn’t been altered in any way. Therefore, it is completely natural.
- Free Recipe Book - This product comes with a free recipe book that tells you to make perfect popcorn at home with their oil.
- Vegan and Gluten-Free - This popcorn oil is both vegan and gluten-free, thus anyone can use this oil.
- Light Flavor - Through our testing and research we have noticed that the buttery taste is very light and not overly powerful. Therefore, if you want a stronger taste you may need to add more oil.
Snappy Burst Popcorn Oil uses soybean oil to make tasty popcorn at home. You can use this oil to pop your popcorn kernels or as a topping.
This popcorn oil has a really rich and creamy buttery flavor, just like what you expect from popcorn from the movie theater.
This oil does not require any melting, thus it is really easy to use. It is ready to use right from the bottle.
Even after you have opened the bottle, this oil doesn't need to be put in the refrigerator. It can be left out at room temperature.
We noticed that this oil has a very strong coloring. This is due to the oil being naturally colored with beta-carotene, a coloring that is typically found in carrots.
Thus, you can enjoy your popcorn without the worry of any added chemicals or preservatives from the oil.
- Flavor - Snappy Burst oil will give your popcorn a very buttery flavor. This will make your popcorn taste as if it has come straight from the movie theater.
- No melting - No melting is required, as this oil is made from soybean oil. Thus, you can use this oil really easily, and it is hassle-free.
- Room Temperature - Once you have opened this oil, it can be left out at room temperature. You don't need to make any space in your fridge.
- Size - This oil can only be brought in large quantities, there are no small quantities available. This isn’t a huge issue if you really love making your own popcorn, but it can seem like too much if you will only use it now and then.
- Soy - Snappy Brush oil is made with soybean oil, therefore if you have soy intolerance, you shouldn't be using this oil for your popcorn.
Orville Redenbacher’s Popping and Topping Oil, does what it says on the tin. You can use this oil to pop your popcorn kernels or use it as a topping on your popcorn, or both!
This oil will give your popcorn a rich and buttery taste, that tastes just like movie theater popcorn.
You get a lot of oil for the price, and it also has some great benefits as well. This oil is ideal for anyone who is on a keto diet.
It has 0 grams of carbohydrates or sugars. Thus making this the natural option for anyone who is living on a keto diet.
- Keto-Friendly - For anyone on the keto diet, but still craves popcorn, this oil is a great option to consider. It is low in carbs and sugars, thus perfect for Keto lovers out there.
- No melting - You can easily drizzle this oil over your popcorn or into your pan.
- Price - This oil is really affordable, and you get a lot of oil for your money. Thus, ideal for anyone who loves to make their own popcorn.
- Taste - A lot of customers have struggled to find the buttery taste when using this oil. We can add that while the flavor is quite mild, there is a hint of butter when eating popcorn with this oil on.
Wabash Valley Farms oil will give you the perfect popcorn in just three minutes. This popcorn oil is made from a blend of corn and coconut oil, which helps to give your popcorn a traditional taste and aroma.
We can confirm that this oil is actually a lot healthier than other oils that you could use. This is because this oil contains 65% less fat than you would find in pure coconut oil. While also having zero trans fat as well.
We liked the small bottle that this oil came in, as it made it easy and more convenient to store and use. It is up to you how you use this oil.
You can either scoop it out of the jar at room temperature and melt it. Or you can heat the jar in warm water to make the contents turn to liquid.
On a side note, we feel it is important to mention that the color and consistency of the oil can change depending on the temperature it is left at.
This is nothing to worry about, as the taste and quality of the oil won’t be affected. As a result, this oil can make delicious and fast popcorn, or you could try it on some of your other favorite snacks.
- Easy To Use - Either scoop it out or warm it to turn the contents into a liquid. This oil is simple and easy to use for creating your popcorn.
- Healthier Option - We would recommend this oil as a healthier oil option, as it contains 65% less fat than pure coconut oil and contains no trans fats.
- Taste - Customers have praised how delicious this oil is when used on their popcorn. Making them believe they were eating movie theater popcorn.
- Instructions - No instructions accompany this oil, therefore it can be difficult to know how much you should be using. Especially when you could use two different amounts, depending on if the oil is solid or liquid.
Best Oils For Popcorn Buying Guide
There are many varieties of popcorn oil to choose from. At the end of the day, you want to buy the best oil you can, so you can make the best tasting popcorn at home.
A lot of people want to make popcorn that tastes just like it has come from the movie theater, whilst others just want good-tasting popcorn. Well, whatever you want, there will be popcorn oil to suit your needs.
Below, we have put together a short guide on some things we think you should consider when buying popcorn oil.
The flavor is the key element you need to think about when purchasing popcorn oil. The reason you are buying popcorn oil is that you want it to taste good.
A large majority of popcorn oils claim that they can replicate the taste of movie theater popcorn. Yet, some brands do much better at living up to this claim than others.
The flavor of the oil is all down to your personal preference. As mentioned above, a lot of people want a popcorn oil that tastes like the popcorn you get at the movie theater.
Well for others, this isn’t a major concern, they just want something that will taste great.
Normally, on the packaging, the oil will tell you what flavors to expect. Hence, the flavor comes down to your choice, you will find some brands will do better at delivering their promised flavor than others.
There are a lot of different oils on the market right now, and that means you can take your dietary requirements into consideration.
Thus, it is important to check the ingredients that the oil contains before buying. The following oils can be used as great popcorn oils.
Canola Oil - If you are watching your weight, or being really health aware, then canola oil is the ideal choice. It is low in saturated fats and has a mild taste, which does not affect your popcorn flavor.
Coconut Oil - Coconut Oil has high levels of saturated fats, which a lot of people believe are bad for you. Yet coconut oil gives your popcorn a nutty flavor. This makes it have a close resemblance to movie theater popcorn that people love to eat. Coconut oil is one of the most popular popcorn oil choices on the market right now.
Corn Oil - Corn Oil has a very natural flavor and very low levels of saturated fats. A good healthy option with a very natural flavor.
Olive Oil - A first choice typically for a lot of people. Olive oil is very high in unsaturated fats, and unlike canola oil, this has a very strong flavor. Yet, it is this flavor that makes olive oil such a popular choice for popcorn.
Peanut Oil - Not ideal for someone with a nut allergy, but peanut oil will give your popcorn a nutty taste. This is a great alternative to coconut oil. As it is low in saturated fats and contains antioxidants such as vitamin E.
Soybean Oil - Soybean Oil is slowly becoming a lot more popular. It is high in omega 3, which is good for your health. The overall flavor of soybean isn’t overall strong, so it is better for popping your popcorn kernels than drizzling on top of your popped popcorn.
Sunflower Oil - Sunflower Oil is seen as a healthy oil alternative as it contains low levels of saturated fats. Whilst, it also contains MUFA and PUFA, both of which are seen as very beneficial. Alongside this, sunflower oil has a very mild taste, which won’t overpower your popcorn kernels.
As a result, you can see that there is a wide range of oils for you to choose from. Thus, you should be able to find an oil that can fit your dietary requirements.
Popcorn is a much-loved beverage when watching a movie. Sometimes you want that glorious snack when you are at home, but you are struggling to make it taste as it does at the movie theater.
The issue may be with the oil you are using. We have given you the best oils that should be used for popcorn. They will all provide you with a great flavor that will make your movie-watching experience much more enjoyable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind Of Oil Do Movie Theaters Use For Their Popcorn?
Typically, you will find that movie theaters will use either coconut or canola oil when it comes to their popcorn. Both types of oils provide you with a clean taste and both are quite healthy options.
Their oil is butter flavored and that is what makes their popcorn taste so good. Normal butter doesn't provide the same flavor as artificial buttery-flavored oil.
Can You Just Use Butter Instead Of Oil When Making Popcorn?
It may sound like a good idea, to do away with the oil altogether, to get that buttery flavor. Yet, it just doesn't work.
This is because butter has such a low melting point, that it burns very quickly, which could then lead to either a burnt taste or burning the popcorn itself.
Which Oil Is Healthier: Coconut Or Olive Oil?
Olive oil is actually a lot healthier for you than coconut oil. Olive oil contains a lot more good fats which are unsaturated fats than bad fats, known as saturated fats.
Experts have discovered that one tablespoon of coconut oil contains around six times more saturated fats than olive oil.
However, all oil should be used in moderation. Too much of any oil can be bad for you, but when we compare coconut and olive oil, olive oil is healthier for you. This makes your popcorn much better for you as well.