Do you want to make cinnamon popcorn? If so, then you have come to the right place, as we have found the best recipe available.
Popcorn is a classic food eaten around the world, where it can be flavored with a range of seasonings. Whether you prefer popcorn to be sweet or salty, there are always options when it comes to this classic confection.
For example, did you know that you can make popcorn with all the spice and warmth of cinnamon?
Well, it’s true and we are going to teach you how. In the following article, we have outlined the best recipe for cinnamon popcorn, so that you can make your own from scratch.
This popcorn is sweet and full of flavor, making it the ideal treat for your next movie night or netflix binge.
Just follow our instructions and you will have everything you need to make your own cinnamon popcorn…
What Is Cinnamon Popcorn?
Cinnamon popcorn is exactly what it sounds like – popcorn that has been seasoned with spice to produce a sweet and festive taste. While it is possible to dust your popcorn with cinnamon powder, you can also use the spice to make a coating for the kernels.
This coating only takes a few minutes to make and promises to infuse the popcorn with a taste reminiscent of pumpkin spice lattes.
But that’s not all. You can also alter the recipe to add other ingredients and extras, such as peanuts or maple syrup. So if you want something warm and spicy, this cinnamon popcorn is the ideal snack for you.
Now let’s take a look at how you can make your own cinnamon popcorn from the comfort of your home.
How To Make Cinnamon Popcorn
Fortunately, making cinnamon popcorn is extremely easy, as the recipe only requires some basic ingredients and limited kitchen experience.
To make the coating for your popcorn, you will need to combine butter and cinnamon in a saucepan before adding sugar and vanilla extract. This helps to produce a dark sauce that can be poured over the popcorn once it has been cooked.
For the best results, we recommend using brown sugar to make the coating, as this will produce a darker and more traditional taste. It is also important to make sure that the sugar has dissolved, otherwise, you could end up with a grainy sauce that is unsuitable for your popcorn.
Like many recipes, the coated popcorn will need to be baked in the oven, as this will help to harden the coating and produce a firm texture.
Of course, this method does come with the drawback of potentially burning the popcorn, which is why you will need to stir the mixture every few minutes to avoid this outcome.
Now that you know how to make the popcorn, let’s take a look at the actual process and everything you will need to get started:
Cinnamon Popcorn Recipe
- Kernels (½ cup)
- Vegetable oil (3 tablespoons)
- Butter (3 tablespoons)
- Brown sugar (¼ cup)
- Water (1 tablespoon)
- Vanilla extract (¼ teaspoon)
- Cinnamon (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (¼ teaspoon)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. When the oil begins to simmer, add some kernels to see if they pop.
- Cover the saucepan with foil and use a sharp knife to poke holes into the surface, this will allow the steam to escape.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and continue cooking while shaking the pan back and forth.
- Once the popping slows down, remove the pan from the heat and uncover the foil, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
- Remove any unpopped kernels and allow the popcorn to cool while making the cinnamon coating.
- Place a saucepan over low heat and add the butter until it has melted. Then add the sugar, water, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Cook and stir the mixture until the ingredients have dissolved and then pour the sauce over the finished popcorn.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until the popcorn has been evenly coated and transfer it to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake the popcorn in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes, while making sure to stir the mixture every 3 – 4 minutes.
- When the time is up, remove the sheet from the oven and continue to stir the popcorn until it cools.
- Once it has cooled, the popcorn should be nice and crispy. Place it in a large bowl and serve.
How To Store Cinnamon Popcorn?
For the best results, we do recommend making and eating the popcorn on the same day, as this means it will be eaten fresh.
However, it is also possible to store the popcorn at room temperature, although it will need to be transferred to an airtight container. In most cases, the popcorn will last over a week in these conditions.
One of our favorite things about cinnamon popcorn is its versatile nature, as the recipe can be paired with a range of extras to produce a range of flavor combinations. We have listed some of these extras in the section below so that you can learn more about these ingredients and their uses:
If there’s one thing that pairs well with cinnamon it’s honey, as the combination of spicy and floral flavors helps to produce a delicious snack that is both sweet and aromatic. However, it can prove too sweet for some people.
If you love pumpkin spice lattes, then why not alter our recipe to produce a snack that is reminiscent of the fall flavor. Just add some nutmeg and cloves to the list and you will have everything you need for a festive and sinful treat.
If you want to make your own gourmet popcorn, then you can alter our recipe to produce a delicious maple and cinnamon surprise. It’s no secret that maple and cinnamon is a tried and true combination, which helps to satisfy your darker tastes. For the best results, you can even add some crispy bacon bits for a touch of salt.
While this extra ingredient may not be suitable for everyone, it does promise to add some saltiness to the sweet dish. Peanuts also pair well with honey and maple, which means they can be added to the other combinations mentioned above.
Cinnamon popcorn is a warm and spicy treat that everyone can enjoy, as it captures the flavors of autumn in a single bowl. Because of its versatile nature, the popcorn can be combined with a range of extras, such as honey or peanuts. Just add whatever toppings you want and relax with your favorite film.