Pre-popped popcorn is a great treat, but there’s nothing like making your own. Should you question whether your baking abilities will stretch to the creation of delicious looking colored popcorn, read on.
This article explains everything you need to know about the globally loved snack.
Read this article to gain easy step-by-step and fool-proof instructions for making the most delicious colored popcorn around.
Gather all the valuable insight to ensure your popped corn is of award-winning standards. Soon your popcorn making skills will be the talk of the town (for the right reasons).
Don’t forget to take a look at the final thoughts section too.
What Is Popcorn?
Popcorn is one of the oldest corn known to man. It is a cereal grain that comprises three parts.
These include the outer shell (known as the bran or hull), the endosperm (watery starch food for the seed), and lastly the germ (or seed embryo).
Popcorn is the only corn that will go ‘pop’ (hence the name). The reason it pops is very simple. When cooking the tasty snack, the water contained inside the popcorn kernel heats up and turns to steam.
Steam builds, pressure rises, until the corn quite literally pops. The result is a quickly prepared, light, fluffy and delicious treat to share (hopefully).
Cooking Popcorn Vs. Buying Pre-popped Corn
People have enjoyed indulging in the art of popping corn for many thousands of years. Yes, people, cooking popcorn is that good. Sure, you can buy pre-popped corn from the supermarket.
There is such a vast selection of microwavable popcorn on offer. The food industry knows our love of this yummy snack only too well. Popcorn demand remains at an all-time high.
In fact, it is considered to be one of the most popular impulse food buys around.
The reasons being, popcorn comes in a ridiculous amount of flavors and seasonings to suit every palette.
Furthermore, it is affordable and ready-to-eat in minimal time. Moreover, the point is – who the hell doesn’t love popcorn?
That said, sometimes you want something different, unique, and made exactly to suit your own tastes and dietary requirements. It is great to get in the kitchen and make your very own fun-filled rainbow popcorn snack that everyone can enjoy.
So, let’s take a look at how to make the most amazing colored popcorn possible. But before you gather this worldly wisdom, here are some important popcorn kernel facts you should digest.
Types Of Popcorn
Popcorn comes in two types. These are butterfly (otherwise known as snowflake) popcorn, and mushroom popcorn. Butterfly popcorn gets its name from the post-popped, butterfly-winged shape.
This lighter and crunchier type is the one you will find in your popcorn bucket at the movie theater.
Mushroom popcorn is more durable and can cope with constant stirring methods involved for coloring and seasoning. Whether you want buttery, caramelized, or fruit flavored popcorn, this will be the popcorn kernel of choice.
Colored Popcorn Suggestions
Whatever the occasion, be it a birthday or Superbowl celebration, or if you are simply hanging out with your pals, colored popcorn is the ultimate fun-packed treat.
Here are some ingredient suggestions for making colored popcorn that will brighten up any event.
- Fruity popcorn for parties – adding jello mix or unsweetened drinks to your popcorn makes a fast and tasty colorful treat.
- Buttery colored popcorn – if you love the simple but classic taste of salted butter popcorn, this one is for you. Simply add gel or liquid food coloring and you are good to go.
- Sweet and colorful popcorn – This is achieved by making your caramelized popcorn, using syrup and butter, and then dyeing it with food coloring of your choice.
- Skittles popcorn – this is a great option for people who love all the colors of the rainbow and don’t’ like too much crunch factor. You can make a single batch, then combine all skittle varieties to get the full color effect. Sometimes the color can drain, so make sure you add a little food coloring for good measure.
- Chocolate popcorn – for this brown colored treat, add your favorite chocolate sauce.
Step-by-step Instructions For Multicolored/Rainbow Popcorn
- 19 cups of popped popcorn
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- I pkt jello
- Food coloring
- ½ cup white sugar
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the syrup.
- Mix in the sugar, jello and any food coloring you require. Keep stirring until it is evenly blended.
- Once brought to the boil, allow to simmer for about 5 minutes. Ensure you constantly stir the mixture for these 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the popcorn and mix thoroughly, until it is evenly spread.
- Place in a baking tin and cook for half an hour.
- Remove from the oven and remember to break apart as soon as possible. The popcorn gets harder as it cools down.
How To Make Tasty Colored Popcorn Without Sugar
Making unsweetened colored popcorn is super easy to do. Simply do not add the sugar. Instead, you can substitute it for real maple syrup and a little coconut oil.
Always make sure you are using pure maple syrup and not regular jars of maple syrup, as these are loaded with sugar. Alternatively, for a salty version, create your colored popcorn without sugar ingredients.
Next, season with salt as required.
Making your own colored popcorn is a fantastic way to liven up any event. You can create caramelized, sweet, salted, and even unsweetened popcorn all bursting with color.
Should you have a lot to prepare for a party, you can even make it up to a week in advance.
Once you have made your impressive color creation, simply place it in a sealed bag. It will stay fresh for a week. Happy popcorn making!