- How To Make Keto Popcorn - March 25, 2022
- How To Make Oreo Popcorn - March 25, 2022
- How To Make Butter Popcorn - March 25, 2022
Do you want to make popcorn with a gourmet twist? If so, then you have come to the right place, as we have found the best recipe for honey popcorn.
Despite being known for its traditional sweet and salted varieties, popcorn can also be seasoned with a variety of different flavors – whether that be chocolate, oreo or cinnamon.
In some cases, you can even use honey to transform your bowl of popcorn into a sweet and decadent treat.
But how do you make honey popcorn? Well, that’s what we’re here to show you. In the article below, we have outlined everything you need to know about making honey popcorn, from the ingredients to the method.
So if you want to make your own homemade honey popcorn, this article has everything you need to get started…
What Is Honey Popcorn?
Honey popcorn may sound like a strange notion, but we promise it’s a great way to add some flavor to your kernels.
As you have guessed, honey popcorn is merely popcorn that has been coated with a mixture of honey and butter, which helps to give the corn a sweet and floral taste. This mixture only takes a few minutes to make and captures the aromatic flavor of fresh honey.
But that’s not all. You can also alter the recipe to add other ingredients and flavors, whether that be peanuts or spice. So if you love honey and want a natural alternative to caramel popcorn, this recipe is the best place to start.
Now let’s take a look at how you can make honey popcorn from scratch, using a simple method and accessible ingredients.
How To Make Honey Popcorn
When it comes to making honey popcorn, the overall process is very simple, as you only need a handful of ingredients and some limited experience.
To make the mixture for the popcorn, you will need to combine honey and butter in a saucepan, which should result in a smooth sauce that you can pour over the finished kernels. During this recipe, you will not need to use sugar, as the honey will be sweet enough.
Of course, the kind of honey you use comes down to your own preference, as you can use any honey to make the mixture. If you want to use honey that has been infused with another flavor, then that is up to you.
However, we personally recommend using standard honey as it is floral enough to remain sweet without robbing the popcorn of its natural flavor.
If you often make popcorn at home, you will know that most recipes call for the use of an oven to bake the finished product and this recipe is no different.
Once you have coated the popcorn, it will need to be baked for around 10 – 15 minutes, which helps to harden the coating and give it a crispy texture.
Now that you know more about how to make honey popcorn, let’s take a look at the actual recipe and the ingredients you will need:
Honey Popcorn Recipe
- Kernels (½ cup)
- Vegetable oil (3 tablespoons)
- Butter (3 tablespoons)
- Honey (¼ cup)
- Water (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (¼ teaspoon)
- Preheat the oven to 300 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. When the oil begins to sizzle, add some kernels to see if they pop.
- Add the remaining kernels and cover the saucepan with foil. Use a sharp knife to poke holes into the surface, this will allow the steam to escape.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and continue cooking while moving the pan backwards and forwards.
- When the popping starts to slow down, remove the pan from the heat and uncover the foil, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
- Remove any unpopped kernels and allow the popcorn to cool while preparing the honey mixture.
- Place a saucepan over low heat and add the butter. Once it has melted, add the honey, water and salt.
- Stir the mixture until the ingredients have combined and then bring to a boil for 1 minute before removing the pan from the heat.
- Pour the honey mixture over the warm popcorn and stir with a wooden spoon to ensure an even coat.
- Transfer the honey popcorn to the lined baking sheet and spread it out evenly. Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
- While the popcorn bakes, make sure to stir the mixture every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Once the popcorn is golden-brown, remove the sheet from the oven and give the mixture a final stir before leaving it to cool.
- Transfer the honey popcorn to a bowl and serve.
How To Store Honey Popcorn?
When making homemade popcorn, it is best to eat it right away, as it will still be fresh and delicious.
However, it is also possible to store the popcorn at room temperature, although it will need to be stored in an airtight container. When the popcorn has been stored in these conditions, it should last a week or even a month.
Like any popcorn variety, honey popcorn is extremely versatile and can be combined with a range of other ingredients to create a unique flavor. We have listed some of these ingredients in the section below:
Although peanuts are not suitable for everyone, they can make a delicious addition to any honey popcorn recipe. Not only do these nuts add some saltiness to the mix, but they also pair well with the honey and produce a sweet flavor.
It’s no secret that cinnamon and honey go well together, so why not combine these amazing flavors when making your next batch of popcorn? While this recipe may prove too sweet for some, it is still an amazing alternative to plain kernels.
While most popcorn recipes feature salt, a little added seasoning can go a long way when it comes to honey popcorn. So if you love the combination of sweet and salty, you should consider making this amazing flavor today.
Honey popcorn is a natural and healthy alternative to other popcorn varieties, which boasts a strong flavor and aromatic scent. The popcorn can be combined with a range of extras and promises to make a delicious snack for you and your family.