Popcorn is a delicious snack known for its crunchy texture and yellow hue. The confection is commonly seasoned with salt or sugar, even though it is possible to flavor the kernels with new and exciting ingredients.
While many people prefer their popcorn plain or dusted with salt, there are some who have transformed this simple snack into a decadent paradise – whether that be through the addition of cheese, chocolate or Oreos.
Oreos have remained a popular cookie since the 1910s, with the confection being known for its dark chocolate base and white center. Since the conception of Oreos, they have been used to make a range of wonderful recipes, such as ice cream, milkshakes and even popcorn.
But how do you make oreo popcorn? Well, that’s what we’re here to show you. In the following article, we will teach you how to make oreo popcorn, while also explaining the process and supplies you will need.
So if you want to satisfy your sweet tooth, this article has everything you need to know about making your own oreo popcorn…
What Is Oreo Popcorn?
As the name implies, Oreo popcorn is popcorn that has been flavored with crushed Oreo cookies. In most cases, Oreo popcorn will feature melted white chocolate as the base, as this helps to create a sticky surface for the cookie crumbs.
The result is a sweet and sinful snack that combines the moreish flavor of popcorn with the decadent taste of Oreo cookies.
The popcorn can be made for children and makes for a delicious snack at parties and celebrations.
Oreo popcorn is extremely easy to make, as it requires only a few ingredients and not much culinary skill. Of course, the kind of Oreos you use come down to personal preference, as the company produces a range of different flavors and products.
While we would recommend using the traditional flavor, you can also use chocolate Oreos to make the recipe, although you will need to use milk chocolate instead of white.
Unlike other popcorn recipes, Oreo popcorn does not require an oven, as this will melt the chocolate and ruin the batch. Instead, the popcorn should be set aside and allowed to rest, as this will allow the chocolate to set and harden.
Now that you understand what Oreo popcorn is, let’s take a look at how you can make your own popcorn from scratch.
How To Make Oreo Popcorn
Because of its simple nature, Oreo popcorn can be made in only a few minutes, as it mainly involves coating popped kernels with melted white chocolate.
To make the coating, you will need to melt the chocolate in the microwave and then stir the mixture until it is smooth and creamy. This helps to make the chocolate easier to pour, as you will need to keep some aside for a final coat.
While it is possible to use any kind of Oreo, we do recommend using the original cookie, as this pairs well with the white chocolate base. However, it is also possible to use strawberry Oreos as a fruity alternative.
One of our favorite things about this particular popcorn is its versatile nature, as it can be combined with various extras to produce new and delicious flavors.
For example, if you love candy and chocolate, you can add them to the mixture. It is also possible to add fruit or marshmallows.
As we previously mentioned, this popcorn does not need to be baked in the oven, as the chocolate must be allowed to set. Because of this, we recommend storing the popcorn in the fridge, otherwise, it could melt and become messy.
Now that you know how to make this popcorn, let’s take a look at the actual recipe and all you will need:
Oreo Popcorn Recipe
It is important to note that this recipe makes a lot of popcorn, which is why we recommend making it for parties or family events.
- Kernels (½ cups)
- Vegetable oil (3 tablespoons)
- Oreo cookies (x10)
- White chocolate chips (1 ½ cups)
- Place the Oreo cookies into a ziplock plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin before setting them aside. You must not reduce the cookies to dust, as you will want some larger pieces for added texture.
- Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the vegetable oil. Once the oil starts to heat up, add some kernels to the pan to see if they cook.
- Add the remaining kernels to the pan and cover with foil. Use a sharp knife to poke holes in the surface, this will allow the steam to escape.
- Return the saucepan to the heat and continue cooking while moving the pan back and forth.
- When the popping starts to subside, remove the pan from the heat and uncover the foil, transfer the popcorn to a large bowl.
- Remove any unpopped kernels from the bowl and allow the popcorn to cool while melting the chocolate.
- Melt 1 cup of white chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute 15 seconds. Then allow the chocolate to sit for 2 minutes before stirring. If the chocolate is not melted, return to the microwave and heat for 15-second bursts. You will need to watch the chocolate to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Take the chocolate out of the microwave and pour it over the finished popcorn. Then take the bag of crushed Oreos and sprinkle some of the crumbs over the finished corn.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the popcorn, cookies and chocolate have combined.
- Pour the popcorn onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread it out to create an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining crushed Oreos over the popcorn until there is none remaining. Then melt ½ cup of white chocolate chips and drizzle over the popcorn until there is none left.
- Allow the chocolate to set before serving.
Oreo popcorn is a wonderful alternative to traditional recipes, as it combines two of the best foods together in a single dish. While it may prove too rich for some, the recipe promises to produce a delicious snack for the whole family, one that can be eaten at parties or when watching movies at night.