- Can Popcorn Cause Constipation? - March 13, 2023
- How to Make Butter Toffee Popcorn - February 22, 2023
- How to Make Skittles Popcorn - February 22, 2023
Peppermint Black Caramel Popcorn
Popcorn is one of those snacks that’s both delicious and convenient. It’s a great option for movie nights or when you want dinner and dessert all in one (just kidding! But it is sweet and salty goodness, that’s for sure).
Still, since there are many ways to make popcorn, from classic butter and salt to caramel and chocolate, choosing becomes pretty hard, right? Luckily, we’ve got a great recipe for you!
Our recommendation is peppermint black caramel popcorn. Caramel flavored popcorn is coated in a sticky, sweet caramel sauce. There are many variations, but peppermint black caramel definitely tops the charts.
This type of popcorn has a layer of dark chocolate on top and is flavored with peppermint extract and black caramel. The combination of flavors is delicious and mouth-watering, and the chocolate coating makes it a festive holiday treat.
So, if you’re looking for a new popcorn recipe, peppermint black caramel popcorn is the right choice. This recipe combines the classic flavor of caramel popcorn with the festive taste of peppermint and the rich, mysterious aura of dark chocolate..
Peppermint black caramel popcorn is a great snack for parties or when you want a sweet treat but don’t want to eat a lot of sugar. It’s made with fresh popcorn, peppermint extract, and black caramel. It’s the ideal combination of sweet and minty. Yum!
Why Should You Make Peppermint Black Caramel Popcorn?
- You can choose to make a large amount at one time and have plenty to share or pack away. Don’t you just hate it when you put a lot of effort into making something only to have it run out?
- It’s extremely quick and straightforward.
- It’s also cheap and only requires a few ingredients.
- This stays fresh for a while, so you don’t have to take on the last minute stress of making food for your party.
- You can pack it in bags, ziplocks, bowls, cups, or basically anything that strikes your fancy – especially cute, aesthetic containers.
- Everyone likes popcorn!
How to Make Peppermint Black Caramel Popcorn
Ingredients for Caramel Popcorn
- 15 – 16 cups plain corn kernels
- ½ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
Ingredients for Chocolate Topping
- 16 oz. semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
- 16 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- 6 crushed candy canes (optional)
- First things first – pop the corn. You can do this with a microwave or in a pot on the stove. Once popped, set it aside in a large brown grocery bag for easy storage and access.
- Next, add brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl is microwave safe. Melt it into a smooth mixture on a high temperature in the microwave for one minute, then stir. Repeat four times, or until the caramel is thick and gooey. (We all love that bubbly, creamy texture and taste!)
- Add in vanilla and the baking soda and mix completely. Be careful because the mixture will bubble and foam a little, which always makes a big mess – trust us, you don’t want to clean that up. Plus, it’s also very, very hot.
- Drizzle the hot caramel sauce over the popcorn and gently stir with a long wooden spoon. You won’t need to coat the popcorn completely. We’ll get to that in a moment.
- Fold the bag, then microwave for a minute. Now here’s the fun part – shake the bag vigorously, then microwave for 1 more minute.
- Shake just once more, and then microwave again for 30 seconds. Repeat for three more minutes.
- Open the bag and spread the corn onto a baking sheet.
- Melt the chocolate in separate bowls for 15 – 20 seconds at any junction, stirring well between heating. The total heating time is usually between 90 seconds and 2 minutes.
- Now, it’s time to coat the corn with chocolate! For this, you can either use a piping bag or a ziplock if you don’t have the former. If you’re using a ziplock, just pour the melted chocolate inside and snip off a corner. Drizzle the chocolate over the caramel corn.
- You can choose to sprinkle the popcorn with crushed candy canes at this point, but after that, let it sit for 30 minutes or until the melted chocolate has hardened.
- Break it down into however many pieces you want and remember to store in an airtight container, if you’re not eating it right now!
- And there you have it – a complete recipe for chocolate peppermint goodness lathered over delicious popcorn. Who could resist a bite?
* This recipe yields 16 servings.
Some Important Notes
How to Melt Chocolate?
Most people prefer to melt chocolate in the microwave because it is easier and more convenient. It works if you only heat it for 20 seconds every burst!
Make sure to stir between heating it up, even if the chocolate appears to be solid. Stop when it starts to melt but still has chunks inside. Typically, the chocolate will melt in its own heat from that point, and you won’t risk overcooking it.
If it hasn’t melted completely after a minute of stirring, microwave it for another 15 seconds.
- Double Boiler
Some people prefer to melt their chocolate in a double boiler because it gives them more control over the process, as well as less chances of scorching.
Simply pour water in a saucepan no larger than a heat-safe glass bowl and bring it to a boil. Ensure there is sufficient water in the bottom to prevent it from quickly evaporating, but it shouldn’t be so much that it touches the bottom of the bowl. Then, add the chocolate to a bowl and place it on top of the saucepan.
The low, steady heat will melt the chocolate as you stir. Keep note of when the chocolate melts so you can remove the bowl from the heat.
What Type of Chocolate is the Top Choice for this Recipe?
It is always preferable to use high-quality baking chocolate rather than taking the shortcut and mixing chocolate chips with a tablespoon of coconut oil or shortening. This is because there is a chance the second option won’t work properly.
For the chocolate drizzle, you can use dark chocolate, white chocolate, or semi-sweet chocolate of varying cocoa percentages. All are delicious, but many people prefer semi-sweet peppermint bark because it’s a little less sweet and balances better with white chocolate.
Peppermint Black Caramel Popcorn is a delicious and festive treat that is perfect for the holidays! This recipe features sweet and salty caramel popcorn flavored with peppermint, chocolate, and vanilla. Enjoy!