- How To Make Keto Popcorn - March 25, 2022
- How To Make Oreo Popcorn - March 25, 2022
- How To Make Butter Popcorn - March 25, 2022
Popcorn is a delicious snack eaten around the world, where it is commonly seasoned with salt, sugar or butter.
However, this does not mean that popcorn has to be plain and simple, as recent trends have birthed creative popcorn recipes with a gourmet taste. Nowadays, you can flavor popcorn with cheese, herbs and even truffles.
Truffles are a species of fungi that grow in the ground, which are known for their rich and earthy taste. Some people say that truffles can elevate any dish, whether that be creamy risottos or french fries.
So how do they taste when added to popcorn? Well, that’s what we’re here to find out.
In the following article, we are going to teach you how to make your own truffle popcorn, using one of the best recipes available on the net. We have also included an in-depth look at the process, as well as suggestions for the best ingredients.
So if you want to transform your bowl of popcorn into a professional delicacy, this article has everything you need to get started…
What Is Truffle Popcorn?
Truffle popcorn is exactly what it sounds like, popcorn that has been infused with truffles to produce a distinctive and rich taste.
In most cases, the popcorn is coated with a mixture of butter and truffle oil before it is topped with truffles and salt. The result is a delectable snack that takes popcorn to a whole new level.
One of the best things about truffle popcorn is its versatile nature, as the finished product can also be seasoned with cheese and herbs for an even better popcorn experience. Of course, truffle popcorn is not for everyone, but it is still a unique take on the classic cinema food.
Now that you understand what truffle popcorn is, let’s take a look at what it takes to make this delicious confection.
How To Make Truffle Popcorn
In many ways, making truffle popcorn is similar to making any other kind of popcorn, as it requires you to cook the kernels in a saucepan with oil. However, in this instance, you will need to use truffle oil to obtain that signature flavor.
Once the kernels have started to pop, you will need to make the truffle seasoning, which involves mixing butter and truffle oil together. This sauce is then poured over the finished popcorn before it is seasoned with truffle salt and served…
Of course, there are various elements that make this popcorn what it is, with one of the most important ingredients being the truffle itself. It is well known that truffles come in two varieties: black and white. So which one should you use when making your own truffle popcorn from scratch?
Black Truffles Vs White Truffles – Which One?
Like with most recipes, the ingredients you choose to use will be based on your own personal preference, which means you can use either white or black truffle oil to make your homemade popcorn.
However, there are some differences between the two truffles that should be noted. For example, white truffle oil comes with a more delicate taste, which is said to be reminiscent of fresh garlic. Because of this, the oil is mainly used in savory dishes and pairs well with bread, pasta and potatoes.
In contrast to this, black truffle oil is much more powerful and is known for its earthy and robust flavor. The oil is commonly used in strong-flavored dishes, such as meat stews and creamy risottos.
While the final decision is yours to make, we would personally recommend using white truffle oil when making your homemade popcorn, especially if you want to add some extras at the end.
So let’s take a look at how you can make truffle popcorn from home, as well as the other ingredients you will need.
Truffle Popcorn Recipe
- Kernels (½ cup)
- Canola oil (2 tablespoons)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Truffle oil (2 teaspoons)
- Truffle salt (½ teaspoon)
Note: As we previously discussed, you can use either white or black truffle oil to make your popcorn. The same can be said of the truffle salt, although most commercial brands use black truffles in their recipes.
- Place a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and 1 teaspoon of truffle oil. You can then add some kernels to the pan to see if they pop. This should tell you whether the oil is hot enough to continue with the rest of the recipe.
- When the kernels have popped, add the rest to the saucepan and cover with a lid. Allow the kernels to pop while shaking the pan as needed. In most cases, the kernels should pop right away and then start to slow down.
- Once the popping begins to subside, remove the saucepan from the heat and transfer the popcorn into a large bowl. It is important that you also remove any unpopped kernels and crumbs.
- When the saucepan is free from debris, do not return to the heat. Instead, place it on the side and add the butter and truffle oil to the pan. Using the residual heat, melt the butter by swirling it around to avoid burning.
- As soon as the butter has melted, pour half of the mixture over the finished popcorn and season with half of the truffle salt. Shake the popcorn to make sure it is evenly coated and then transfer to another bowl before adding the rest of the butter and truffle salt.
- Season the finished popcorn as needed and then serve immediately.
If you want to make this recipe even better, then you can do this by adding various extras to the finished popcorn. While it is possible to add herbs and spices, we personally recommend adding parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, as this produces a distinctive and gourmet taste.
Just follow the recipe listed above and add ¼ cup of grated parmesan to the finished popcorn, as well as finely chopped flat-leaf parsley. We promise, you won’t have tasted anything like it before.
Truffle popcorn is a unique take on a classic dish, which takes the salty snack and transforms it into a gourmet experience. While it may not be for everyone, we promise it will make your next movie night all the more exciting.