- Can Popcorn Cause Constipation? - March 13, 2023
- How to Make Butter Toffee Popcorn - February 22, 2023
- How to Make Skittles Popcorn - February 22, 2023
Popcorn is a very versatile snack that is suitable for all sorts of different occasions. It can be used as an appetizer, dessert or even as a side dish to accompany your main meal.
Surprisingly, it can also make a very appropriate decoration provided you know what you’re doing.
A popcorn garland is a traditional decoration often used around Christmastime. They are very cheap, eco-friendly and easy to make, which is one reason they make such a great way to bring some festive cheer into your home.
Popcorn garlands are also a fun project to do with small children, who will enjoy stringing the kernels together, provided they don’t eat them all first.
In this article, we will show you how to string popcorn to make your very own garlands and decorations.
How To Make A Popcorn Garland
To make a simple popcorn garland you will need a few key items that you probably already have lying around your house.
As well as some freshly popped kernels, you will also require some thread, or wire, a needle, and a set of tweezers.
If you are making a garland with children, make sure to supervise the use of any sharp items such as needles or scissors for cutting the thread.
Once you have all of these tools, you can follow the instructions below to make your first popcorn garland.
1. Pop a bowl of popcorn kernels, if you like you can pop two and save one for snacking on while you work.
2. Lay out your pieces of popcorn and any other beads that you want to string onto your garland, such as dried cranberries. This will allow you to prepare the pattern that you want to make.
3. Next, find a spool of thread that is strong enough for your garland. You want to cut your thread slightly longer than the intended length of your garland, so you have some spare for tying off the ends.
4. Using the needle, push your thread through the first piece of popcorn. Wrap the thread around the piece of popcorn and tie a double knot to secure it.
5. If you find that your popcorn keeps breaking when you push the needle through it, then it is too fresh. Leave your popcorn to sit overnight, and you should be able to push a needle through it without it crumbling.
6. Thread all your other pieces of popcorn in the pattern you set up earlier. Use the needle to punch a hole through the popcorn and carry the thread through this hole.
7. Once you have added all the pieces to your garland, wrap the end of the thread around the final piece of popcorn and secure it with a double knot, as we did earlier.
8. Your popcorn garland is now ready to be hung around your home, or on your Christmas tree.
How Do You Hang A Popcorn Garland On A Christmas Tree?
Popcorn garlands can be hung anywhere you would normally hang a Christmas ornament. However, we think that they work best when they are placed on your Christmas tree.
This is because the small white kernels really stand out against the greenery and vibrant colors of the other decorations.
If you decide to hang your garland on a Christmas tree, then you’ll need to find somewhere where there is enough space for it to dangle freely. Often you can just wrap it around the tree like you would a piece of tinsel.
Watch out for hanging your garland too low down, especially if you have a pet or very young child who may be tempted to try and eat it.
If you’ve got a large tree, then you can make multiple garlands, or one very large one.
Popcorn garlands are a simple and very cheap decoration that is great for anyone who wants to add a bit of festive cheer to their home on a budget.
What Else Can You Add To Your Popcorn Garland?
You can add lots of different things to your popcorn garland. For example, you could buy a small set of plastic beads for placing between the kernels, or stick with the food theme and add soft sweets such as gumdrops or marshmallows.
One of the more popular options for adding to a garland is dried cranberries. These are available in most supermarkets during the autumn months.
Simply take a handful of cranberries and arrange them along the length of your garland in between the pieces of popcorn. This is a great way to add a bit more color to your decoration and make it feel even more festive.
Another option is to buy some wooden beads and thread them onto the garland. If you want to get really crazy, you can use a thin layer of PVA glue painted on with a brush to stick glitter or sequin to your garland.
This will make it less traditional but much more colorful, although you will have to make sure your pets and children don’t eat it.
Finally, you could always go for a traditional string of popcorn.
If you do choose to add anything else to your garland, then you should definitely make sure that it isn’t too heavy for the thread that you have chosen to make your garland.
How Long Does A Popcorn Garland Last?
A popcorn garland made from just popcorn will last the whole festive season without going bad. As mentioned above, you can decorate it with whatever you like, although some decorations may decrease its lifetime.
Cranberries will go bad after a few days, even if they are dried. A popcorn garland with cranberries on it can only be expected to last between 7 and ten days before it will start to degrade.
There are steps that you can take to preserve your garland and make it last much longer. One method is to spray it with a craft sealing spray.
It should be noted that these sprays are not edible at all. As such, you will need to keep it away from young children or pets.
Alternatively, you can make your popcorn and cranberry garland closer to Christmas day and just accept that it may not last past that point.
Before it starts to go off, you can take it outside and hand it up for the local birds to enjoy a tasty winter snack. Never do this with a sprayed garland as it may harm the birds.
We hope that our guide has helped you understand how to string popcorn. Now that you know how to string popcorn, you can create your own unique garland.
You can go for the classic popcorn only arrangement, or spice things up with bits of dried fruit, sweets and wooden or plastic beads if you want.
This is a great way to make your own Christmas decorations, and you can get your children involved as well if you want a fun activity for those cold winter days.
So why not stick some popcorn kernels in the microwave and make your own popcorn garland today!
0 thoughts on “How To String Popcorn”
tor blacksprut – тор blacksprut, блэкспрут blacskprut
Your comment is awaiting moderation.